Friday, April 9, 2010


I just love watching The Duggar family on TV! I know some people have issues with them and while I don't agree with them on EVERYTHING I just love them! Everytime I watch I am so ispired by Michelle Duggar's love for the Lord, positive attitude, gentle spirit, and adoration of her husband. I am always just in awe. I think she is amazing even though I know she says she is not and is quick to give all of the glory to God for what she does. While I myself have no plans of having that many children I really look to her and women like her for direction.

Before really surrendering my life to the Lord I used to think my goals for rearing children would be to raise children who were really successful, smart, etc. And while I still consider those goals and do have them they really have taken a back seat in my parenting. At the end of the day the only goal I have that matters is to raise my children to love and fear the Lord. In the end they will have to decide for themselves whether or not they will choose Jesus as their King but it is my job to do all within my power to lead them in that direction. I like the way The Message translates one of my favorite Bible verses,

Deuteronomy 11:18-19, "18 -21 Place these words on your hearts. Get them deep inside you. Tie them on your hands and foreheads as a reminder. Teach them to your children. Talk about them wherever you are, sitting at home or walking in the street; talk about them from the time you get up in the morning until you fall into bed at night. Inscribe them on the doorposts and gates of your cities so that you'll live a long time, and your children with you, on the soil that God promised to give your ancestors for as long as there is a sky over the Earth. "

The Word says that we are to live our faith in front of our children and to talk to them about our own beliefs. I love that.

Just today I had a long list of things I wanted to accomplish during Sophie's nap. Max usually plays really happily by himself during this time so I was pretty confident I could get it all done. But, as I was in my room folding laundry Max came up to me with his little children's Bible and said, "let's read one about Jesus!" As horrible as it sounds a part of me wanted to say, "not right now". But, I am so thankful I didn't! We spent almost a half an hour reading Bible stories and Max talking about Jesus and asking questions. Now, he is only three so one of his favorite parts of our reading time was learning that John the Baptist ate bugs and honey. So, ever since he has been running around the house pretending to eat bugs and honey! But, I am so thankful for the time to just chat and learn about God with my son. I pray that I will have many memories like this one with all of my children and that they will remember their parent's talking about God a lot while they were growing up.

I am sometimes totally taken aback by the responsibility God gives us in raising our children. I am SO thankful that God gives us wisdom and direction if we ask for it!

1 comment: