Thursday, September 9, 2010

Supersize Me

Nick and I recently started doing the Netflix on Demand on our Wii. We got our disc for it yesterday so last night we watched the documentary, "Supersize Me". I had been wanting to watch it forever but just hadn't gotten around to it.

Nick and I really enjoyed it (you know... as much as you can enjoy watching something that makes you totally nauseus! Ha!) I instantly felt so guilty for how often I let me kids eat McDonalds and how often we have been known to eat fast food. I knew it was bad for you but I guess I didn't realize how bad. So, between "Supersize Me" and the Jamie Oliver special on changing the school lunch program that showed how McNuggets are actually made, I am on a mission to make healthier meals for my family! That starts with food at home so that I can know exactly what I am feeding my kids. (My internal dialogue: (moan) but fast food is so easy! and when we get some I don't have to clean up the kitchen!)

I had been using the excuse for awhile now that I couldn't cook super healthy meals because produce and meat are so expensive. This is true. But I went to Dierburgs today and focusing on things that were on sale I was able to get tons of meat and produce and a few other items for what I usually spend on groceries. The key is to not buy the processed convenience foods in addition! I could have saved more money if I went to Wal-Mart but I am trying to buy better meat and produce in my mission! Ha!

So, that is what I am doing. I will try to post updates on how it is going and maybe include any new yummy recipes I find along the way! Tonight's recipe is not super healthy but was already on the menu and I had the stuff for it. It is a sausage and potato casserole... but I am pairing it with a yummy salad and roasted brussel sprouts, so that counts for something!

P.S. I did Jillian's 30 Day Shred workout DVD for the first time today and I am pretty sure that woman was trying to kill me!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who those shows affected in the same way. Have you heard of that book Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld? It has several recipes that sneak veggies into typical kid food. It basically teaches you how to make the foods your kids and family like in much healthier ways. Anyhoo...I use that from time to time. If anything, I've learned that you can puree just about any vegetable and throw it into boxed mixes. Sure the boxed mixes are processed and not as healthy as from scratch, but then I feel better about giving it to the kids when I'm in a hurry and have to use them. Most of the time I cook from scratch, but sometimes a Mama has to take the easy route.

    The good thing about cooking from scratch is you usually end up with leftovers that you can freeze. Then you have your healthy quick fix food in the freezer when you need it and don't have to feel guilty. Good luck in your endeavors to eat healthier. It will be worth it. I can't wait to see what you cook up!

    ReplyDelete