Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sleep finally!

So, the last two nights I have gotten lots of sleep and it has been AWESOME! My sweet little Jack has fallen into a routine of going to bed around 7:30 and then waking up once in the middle of the night at 3 and then sleeping until morning. I know some moms would be less than impressed with a baby who is 4 months old and not sleeping through the night. But, I am happy!

I did the Babywise method with Max and it honestly made me not enjoy being a mother. But, thinking it was the "only way" I tried it again with my second and when I realized it wasn't working for her and it was making me miserable yet again I threw it out the window and I have loved being a mommy to babies ever since! I don't have a problem with it really, it just wasn't for me!

So, my method with Jack-Jack basically followed my doctor's advice and my own intutution. Basically, for the first 4 months Jack was the boss. He decided when he ate, slept, etc. And although he wasn't the best sleeper he wasn't the worst either. Now I have been working on putting him on a routine/schedule and it has been working well. He is getting into the groove and it is working out well for both of us. I am finding it much easier to get a 4 month old into a routine than to try to do it with a newborn!

The only downside of this new routine is that it has gotten Jack sleeping wonderfully in his crib... but not really in his carseat or out and about. So, we are kind of stuck at home most of the time. But, honestly, with three little ones 4 years old and under staying home is easier anyway! So, we try to get out for playdates every once in awhile and once Friend2Friend starts up again next year we will do that. But, for now, if you are wondering where we are I can pretty much gurantee that the answer is, "at home"!

3 comments:

  1. I read bits of Babywise and it was too strict for me, but I did use the idea of eat-play-nap and it put Ben and Joe in great routines early on! And knowing that you're home a lot means I can always come over to play! Don't worry... I'll ask first. :-) Glad I got to capitalize on that this morning. Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always got up with my kids at least one or two times every night until they turned one. I also did a little bit of babywise after they were two months old because my little gals liked to get up every two hours it seemed, so I had to do a little tough love to get some sleep or I may have lost it. But overall, kids do seem to put themselves on a schedule. It's kind of cool how eventually they just fall into their own pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horay for sleep! Babywise also made me miserable with Lydia. I love routine, but it was too much too soon. With Luke, I just let him sleep whenever he wanted. Just let him be a baby. Everyone was much happier.:)

    Staying home isn't a bad thing, is it, especially when it's so cold outside?

    ReplyDelete