Friday, May 11, 2012

Let's Hear it for the Moms!

The picture above is my mom and grandma with Sophie and I on her first birthday. I love this picture because these two ladies played such a huge role in who I am today. My mother and grandma have always been my biggest fans, encouragers, and cheerleaders. And now that I am older I can also say that they two of my best friends in the whole world. 

I have an amazing mom. I talk to her every single day. My mom is one of those people that if you need her... she is there. No matter what. My mother is one of the most selfless people I know. She worked when we were growing up but I always said I didn't really know it. Because, when she was home, she was just mom.  She always made us a priority. And now she is the most amazing grandma. She loves my kids so much and is such an important part of my life. Even when we lived farther away she drove up almost once a month just to see Max. She gives my kids her time and they love her so much for it. They have such a special relationship.

My own grandma was always my absolute favorite person in the world. She is everything a grandma should be! Loving, giving, generous... One of my favorite things about her is she has always talked to me like a grown-up, even as a little bitty kid. She has never talked down to me. She has always treated me as if my thoughts, ideas, and opinions mattered. It has meant so much to me and as I am a mom now I always try to do the same with my own children. It always made me feel so valued. And she was there for us when we moved to St. Louis and had no where to live. She took us in and let us take over her life and acted as if she liked it. I can never repay for her all that she has done for me. But, I hope to pass on her amazing legacy of love and generosity into the next generation! 

So, with that I must say Happy Mother's Day! Most of what I write in this blog is about my love for motherhood which I have because I have always seen motherhood done well. I am grateful for that and am grateful for mothers, especially the ones who have given so selflessly to me.'s So thank you Mom and Grandma! 


1 comment:

  1. This post propels me forward 30 years, when I hope my own daughters will have good reason to say such kind things about me. That is why we do what we do, isn't it? We're not just changing diapers and buckling car seats to Sunday school. We are building legacies. What job could be more meaningful? Happy Mother's Day, Katie!

    ReplyDelete