Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Veggie Panini


In the spirit of healthier eating I thought I would share one of my new favorite lunches today. It is a veggie panini and I seriously can't get enough of these things. 

To make one of these babies you will need:
hummus (I will share my homemade recipe soon!)
whole wheat sandwich rounds
1/4-1/2 an avocado mashed 
onions, mushrooms, and peppers (sliced)
spinach
tomato (sliced)

After you have made your hummus (or opened a tub from the store, there are lots of yummy ones out there) sautee the onions, mushrooms, and peppers in skillet. I don't use any oil at all. I find that the onions and mushrooms release enough liquid to caramelize everything nicely. Then assemble your sandwich with hummus on one side, avocado on the other, then in the middle add your sauteed veggies, spinach and tomato. 

I have a Cuisinart Griddler that I use to make paninis but you could use whatever panini press you have or a skillet would work just fine too! 

The possibilities are endless with this little guy and it comes together fairly quickly. I have started sauteeing a big batch of veggies earlier in the week and keeping them on hand to throw into paninis or spaghetti sauce or whatever else I am cooking!

And the best part is that these will leave you totally full without even an ounce of guilt! 
 and linking up at Raising Homemakers!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, LOVE THIS! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sauteeing extra veggies to keep on hand for later... why have I not thought of that? Good tip. Do they keep pretty well for a few days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had good luck with them keeping well for several days. They would also probably freeze just fine too!

      Delete