Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A new {Kids Cabinet}

When I grow up I want to be a really organized, type-A personality... Does it work that way? Okay, I don't think so, but I really wish it did. I am just not a naturally organized person. Routine, organization, and all of those things do not happen in my life without serious effort on my part. Whenever I am chatting with someone who has that hyper-organized/clean freak personality I always tell them that I want to be just like them. Then they tell me that I don't and that it is a pain... but I really think they are just trying to be nice, ha! But, as we all know, the grass is always greener on the other side...

So, while I am not naturally a neat and organized person I DO appreciate all things neat and organized and I strive to attain it. On Monday this week I tackled the kids cabinet. Our cabinet where we kept kids plates, cups, sippy cups, etc. was also the same cabinet we used to hold all sorts of miscellaneous things including sunscreen and salsa bowls... Yeah... It was also a cabinet up high to the right of our dishwasher. 

I had seen a few ideas that suggested keeping kids dishes in lower cabinets where kids are able to get to them themselves and also be involved in putting them away. I loved that idea, especially since we initiated our chore pack system and the kids have been helping me unload the dishwasher. 

So, I cleared out a cabinet that is in my center island that used to hold mixing bowls and the salad spinner. I realized I didn't need 5 sets of mixing bowls always at my disposal...  and this lower cabinet became our new kid's cabinet! I got these bins at the Dollar Spot at Target (although they were $2.50 a piece, what is up with that?) And filled them up with the kiddos' stuff...
Now they can easily get what they need and easily help with putting away their dishes!

And the old kids cabinet is a little more organized too!
My paired down mixing bowl collection found a new home with my tupperware and the ex-kids cabinet became a new home for measuring cups and strainers. It also houses candy (in the floral bin), water bottles (in the turquoise bins), chore packs (little tub on the bottom shelf) and quick things I need when we are outdoors, like bandaids and sunscreen. 

I feel one step closer to being an organized person and I definitely feel like efficiency has improved in our kitchen! 

I am linking up today over at Women Living Well!

1 comment: