Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness

"C.S. Lewis in Mere Christianity makes a brilliant observation about gospel-humility at the very end of his chapter on pride. If we were to meet a truly humble person, Lewis says, we would never come away from meeting them thinking they were humble.They would not be always telling us they were a nobody (because a person who keeps saying they are a nobody is actually a self-obsessed person). The thing we would remember from meeting a truly gospel-humble person is how much they seemed to be totally interested in us. Because the essence of gospel-humility is not thinking more of myself or thinking less of myself, it is thinking of myself less." - From the Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness by Timothy Keller.

My pastor suggested reading this little booklet (available on your Kindle for $.99!) after his sermon on Sunday. The combination of the sermon (listen here) and this book (buy here) have left me a total mess.. in the best possible way.

I have been awakened to my self-obsessed ways. And it is ugly.

This little booklet takes less than an hour to read and I am not putting it lightly when I say this is possibly the most life changing thing I have ever read. If you struggle with worrying about what other people think of you, if you get your feelings hurt easily (you consider yourself "sensitive"), if you are easily embarrassed, or if you struggle with unforgiveness, I highly suggest listening to the sermon and reading this little book.



And then come over to my house and drink coffee with me and let's CHAT!

Linking up at Growing Home today!

No comments:

Post a Comment